#170 Metabolic Burn is a tough metabolic strength workout. I am using Cathe’s live metabolic workouts as cardio/conditioning workouts rather than as strength workouts but this one nevertheless work all of my muscles very nicely. I was working very hard in this workout. And Cathe hits you right out the gate with sliding push up jacks. I feel like I got cardio along with some excellent total body conditioning. Cathe is wearing a very different and unique outfit for this workout. I love it! She looks so fit and beautiful. She always does but this outfit seems to highlight it even more.
Cathe says at the beginning that there are 26 different exercises in this workout–no repeats! No boredom! For some of the exercises it seemed there was very little time to get in place. I used all of the same weights/equipment as Cathe except for on a few exercises (noted below) but even when I was grabbing the same weight as Cathe, a few times I could not get into place in time and missed 1 or 2 reps. BTW–the two exercises I used different weight than Cathe, she gave me plenty of time to realize before the exercise started that I needed a different weight than she was using. Unless she gives a heads up before the exercise starts, I always grab the same weight as Cathe. But she was moving really fast during parts of this workout. In fact, what I was just referencing was the time between exercises, however, because this is a metabolic workout, Cathe is doing the reps rapidly, too. So you might look at some of the exercises and think you can lift heavier but I would do the workout first before you make that decision. For example, #8 is one that I could probably use a 20 pound dumbbell on if she were to do the exercise at a more controlled speed (like she would during a regular strength workout) but she was going so rapidly in this workout that I was beginning to question the wisdom of a 15 pound dumbbell!
You can do Cathe’s live workouts by subscribing to her streaming site or purchasing the individual downloads. Here is a video clip of this workout.
Metabolic Burn is 47:30 minutes; 4:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, resistance tube with handles, gliding devices.
- (put sliding devices under feet) Slide feet out to plank, do 2 sliding plank jack push ups, slide feet back in and stand
- Stand facing the side with legs open wide, hold one DB at shoulder furthest away from TV, other arm is extended out to side, do a wide sumo squat, then pivot to front in a wide split stance while doing a single arm overhead press (Cathe is using one 10# DB)
- In straight arm plank with sliding devices under feet, alternate sliding one leg under body to other side of the body
- Squat press (squat and do one single arm overhead press, squat and one single arm overhead press (other arm), squat and do a double arm overhead press) (Cathe is using 10# DBs)
- Alternating curtsy lunges, hold each lunge isometrically while doing 2 wide bicep curls (Cathe is using 8# DBs)
- Repeat #5 but this time do hammer curls instead of W curls (Cathe is using 8# DBs)
- Alternating forward hinge lunges, hold each lunge isometrically while doing 3 rear delt flys (Cathe is using 8# DBs)
- Side slide lunge holding one DB in one hand, place DB on floor while in lunge and when you lunge again, pick DB up (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Reverse lunge into a front kick into a reverse lunge then stand, alternate legs, you are also doing hammer curls with each lunge (Cathe is using 8# DBs)
- With sliding device under one foot, slide foot back so you are in a low lunge, arms are crossed in geni, while remaining in lunge, slide back foot out and in
- Stand on resistance tube while holding a handle and a 5# DB in each hand, do bicep curls
- Stand on resistance band with one handle in each hand, hinge forward with spine straight and do tricep kickbacks, palms facing ceiling
- Sumo bow and arrows (fold the resistance tube in half, holding both handles in one hand, extend arm holding handles straight to side while holding the tubes in other hand, lunge back with one leg while also pulling back on resistance tube (one arm and one leg remain straight and stationary when lunging)); remain in lunge with arm holding handles still extended straight and pulse-pull back on resistance tube
- Stand on band holding a handle in each hand, extend arms out to sides and do small circles
- 8 squats + 4 deadlifts, 4 sets of this combo (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 20# DBs)
- Band pulls (hold resistance tube in both hands with palms facing the ceiling and about a foot of tube between hands, keeping elbows close to sides, do fast pulsing pulls on the tube)
- Stand with legs wide and toes turned out, holding a DB in each hand, DBs pressed together, squat and swing DBs down between legs, when you stand, swing both DBs overhead, when they are overhead open arms out to side in goal post, push DBs back overhead and repeat (Cathe is using 8# DBs)
- Alternating rear lunges, when you lunge, do a straight arm front raise, arcing DBs so ends of DBs come together at top of raise; remain standing and just do the front raise portion of the move; add the lunges back to the front raises; ends with just front raises while standing (Cathe is using 5# DBs)
- In crab position, alternate tapping hand to opposite foot
- Sit on bottom, legs extended and resistance tube wrapped around feet, holding one handle in each hand, do T pulls, opening arms out straight to sides
- Start standing, hinge forward and walk hands out to plank, do 2 push ups, walk hands back to feet and stand (inchworm push ups)
- Single arm tricep kickback in tripod plank
- Sliding mountain climbers
- 2 upright rows + one deadlift; changes to 6 upright rows + one deadlift (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 12# DBs)
- Straight arm side raises; add a rear lunge to each side raise (Cathe is using 5# DBs)
- More rear lunges with straight arm side raises but she does these at a slower and more controlled pace (Cathe is using 5# DBs)
- Reverse sliding lunge with hammer curls; changes to sliding back into lunge while doing a single arm hammer curl, remain in lunge and do a single arm overhead press, lower arm while sliding back in to standing (Cathe is using 10# DBs)
- Bear crawls (get on hands and knees with toes on ground, raise knees a few inches off the ground, from this position step one hand and opposite foot forward then back, repeat on other side of body)