Full Body Metcon is Day 14 in Heather Robertson‘s 14 day Fierce 2.0 program. OMG this workout was intense! Even Heather was burning out during the last circuit. I went conservative on my weights because I knew after previewing it that it would kick my butt and it did! Heather doesn’t ever break this workout up with a 30 second break either–you are going-going-going with nothing more than 15 second recoveries. This is one of her MetCon workouts, which is short for metabolic conditioning. This is a total body strength workout and it is also a cardio + strength workout. Each circuit contains at least one exercise that incorporates cardio. The exercises are also compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups, frequently upper and lower body at the same time. Then there is the aforementioned short recoveries. It is a very intense workout!
This workout contains 5 circuits; each circuit contains 4 exercises. You will do each circuit twice. The exercises are done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
Full Body Metcon is 47:39 minutes; 2:40 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 5, 10 and 15 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Squat & press (hold one DB in one hand at shoulder, step out into a squat, when you step back in to standing, do one single arm overhead shoulder press) (one 18# DB)
- Repeat #1 on other side of body
- Plank reach & push (start in straight arm plank with a DB in each hand, lift one DB straight in front of you, place it back on mat and do one push up, repeat on other arm) (5# DBs)
- Boxer jacks (jack the legs while doing alternating front punches) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-4
- Deadlift & row (hinge forward into deadlift, do one single arm bent over row on each arm then straighten) (30# DBs)
- Skull crusher bridge (lay on back with knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, raise and lower hips into bridge while also doing skull crushers) (13# DBs)
- Curtsy & raise (hold one DB both hands, do alternating curtsy lunges, while in lunge raise DB overhead keeping arms straight) (one 15# DB)
- Squat & hop (hold one DB on both hands by end/bell, squat and place DB on floor, release DB and jump, land in squat, grasp DB again and stand) (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #1-4
- Single rocket push ups (one single leg push up, then push glutes back to heels keeping knees elevated off the mat, do another single leg push up, this time with other leg raised)
- Rear fly & jack (one bent over rear delt fly then stand and jack the legs while doing one overhead press) (9# DBs)
- Squat & lunge (one squat + one reverse lunge, alternate legs when lunging) (20# DBs)
- Scissor squat & hop (4 scissor runs + one squat jump)
- Repeat #1-4
- Curl, press & twist (holding a DB in each hand, do a hammer curl and when DBs are at shoulder level, rotate torso to side while doing a double arm overhead press, keeping hips facing forward, alternate sides when doing the overhead press) (15# DBs)
- Sumo squat & row (holding one DB in both hands by the bar, lower into sumo squat and when you raise back to standing, do one upright row) (one 30# DB)
- Reverse crunch & press (lay on back with a DB in each and legs extended straight to ceiling, arms/DBs are also extended straight to ceiling, do one chest press then do one reverse crunch, lifting hips and pushing feet up to ceiling, then lower straight legs until they are a few inches off the mat) (25# DBs)
- Walking plank jack (in straight arm plank, do one plank jack, lower into forearm plank and jack legs again)
- Repeat #1-4
- Side lunge & raise (stand with legs wide and a DB in each hand, do alternating stationary side lunges, between each lunge do one straight arm lateral raise) (9# DBs)
- Hi-lo swing (hold one DB in both hands by bar, squat while swinging DB between legs to forehead level (arms are straight), stand and swing DB overhead) (one 20# DB)
- V-sit + curl (sit on glutes, knees bent and feet elevated, torso leaned back slightly, hold this position isometrically while doing bicep curls) (13# DBs)
- High knees & hold (high knee run while holding one DB in both hands at chest level) (one 10# DB)
- Repeat #1-4
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “DAY 14: Full Body MetCon // FIERCE 2.0”
This one definitely had me sucking wind too! I thought it was the most taxing of the series in terms of difficulty. Those short rests definitely upped the intensity!
My back is feeling better finally so I’ve been able to pick up more of my weights. Today I did Heather’s newest chest/back superset. She’s done a really nice job of incorporating better warmups and cooldowns that are appropriate to the workout. Definitely enjoying that!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Glad to hear your back is feeling better!
I wasn’t too crazy about the stretch in this workout. I wanted something more, but I did one of her Daily 10s a finisher and I didn’t really have time. In retrospect, that workout did not need a finisher! I should have just added on a longer stretch.