This workout has been on my “To Do” list since I signed up for Cathe Live, but I decided this was the perfect time to do it. I am the middle of a Ripped w/ HIIT & Gym Styles rotation, and I am doing the DVD version of this workout every other week. So it is fresh in my mind for comparison’s sake.
So, in comparison, the very first thing I noted is that it is harder than the DVD version, which is very unusual for the Cathe Lives that I have done that are based on a specific DVD workout. It is also a few minutes longer (also unusual)! Although it is definitely based on the Ripped w/ HIIT/Lift it Hiit It concept of strength work alternated with HIITs, this is IMHO different from the DVD version of this workout. I think that is a good thing btw. The DVD version really does a great job w/ the concept of contrast training. You do a strength exercise with fairly heavy dumbbells (for the amount of reps you are doing that is) and then you do a plyometric HIIT exercise that mimics the strength move. You generally only do one set of the HIIT exercise. The Live version varies from this. First, you start with the HIIT exercise (rather than strength) and follow it up with a strength exercise. Sometimes they mimic each other and sometimes they don’t. And you almost always do 2-3 sets of the HIIT exercise. Also, in the DVD version, the strength exercises are usually basic exercises in which you are doing singles (tempo). In the Live version, you do basic exercises and singles, but also tempo variations. And finally–the exercises are different. Yes, there are some of the same exercises, but for the most part the Live version contains different exercises.
It is an excellent and tough workout. I really liked it a lot. Since it is only 43 minutes long, I needed an add on to round out my hour of working out in the morning. I finished it off w/ Great Glutes–floor work only (9:30 minutes) and stretch (7 minutes) bringing my total workout time to just under an hour and finishing off my glutes! And of course, since Cathe‘s Live stretches are pretty skimpy, it was very nice to end everything with the longer Great Glutes stretch.
Lift it Hiit It Legs is 43 minutes long; 7 minute warm up, 1 minute cool down and 2 minute stretch. Equipment needed: Various weighted dumbbells ranging from 10 to 15 pounds, and a barbell with two plates on each side (used for deadlifts & plié squats). I used 25 and 15 pound dumbbells. Cathe’s barbell was at 45 pounds. I had one barbell set up at 45 pounds (for plie squats) and one barbell at 70 pounds (for deadlifts). It aired live on 12/11/15 and here is the video clip.
- Cardio: Squat Digs
- Strength: 24 Squats; Cathe uses 15# DBs, I used 25# DBs
- Cardio: Split jumps (jumping in static lunge)
- Strength: 24 Static lunges each leg; one 15# DB
- Cardio: Touch down plie hops
- Strength: Plié squats; 45# BB
- Cardio: Power scissors (alternating jump lunges)
- Strength: Reverse lunges in pulsing and single pattern; Cathe uses 10# DBs, I used 15# DBs
- Cardio: Squat, lunge, squat, lunge to other side–all done w/ little hops; ends w/ just plie squat hops
- Strength: Wide stance deadlifts; Cathe uses 45# BB, I used 70# BB
- Cardio: Snow angel jacks
- Strength: Wide stance deadlift, 8 reps; narrow stance deadlift, 8 reps; Cathe uses 45# BB, I used 70# BB
- Cardio: Lateral skates
- Strength: Curtsy lunges, pulse 15x once each leg, pulse 7x three times each leg; one 15# DB
- Cardio: Ice breakers
- Strength: Plié squats; 45# BB
- Cardio: Air jacks
- Strength: 24 Squats; Cathe used 15# DBs, I used 25# DBs
- Cardio: High reaching pop squats
- Cardio intermission: jumping jacks
- Strength: Pivoting sumo squats; first pulsing to each side then singles; one 15# DB
- Cardio: Hammer punch/pull back lunge; 24 each side
- Strength: Static lunges, 24 each leg; 15# DBs