Total Body HIIT Bootcamp Workout is another tough and excellent workout from Heather Robertson. She has so many! And more coming–a free 12 week program I have already signed up for. I will not be doing the program as she posts the workouts but I will probably do the workouts at some point. Anyway, back to Total Body HIIT Bootcamp. An excellent and intense metabolic cardio + strength workout. This workout is made up of 3 circuits and each circuit is repeated 3 times. Each circuit contains 4 exercises: one upper body exercise, one lower body exercise, one core exercise and one cardio exercise. The workout is done interval fashion: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. There is a counter in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, counting down your intervals. During your 15 second recovery a rectangle appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen previewing the next exercise. Several of the exercises are compound exercises–working the upper and the lower body, or combining strength, core and cardio into a single exercise. However, this is not a total body workout as the title promises. Your back is not touched and you hit the triceps hard twice with tricep push ups and skull crushers. The remedy for that is to do regular push ups instead of tricep push ups to give the chest more work but then the back is still neglected. However, today was my New Years workout! I have the day off so I am able to do a longer workout. So, I stacked several of Heather’s workouts. This workout does not have a warm up or stretch. So I started with Heather’s 5 Minute Warm Up then I did this workout. Next I did her Total Body Toning Workout from Home (which still neglects the back, despite the title) followed by The Best Exercises to Target Back Fat, which worked my back very nicely and I ended everything with her Full Body Stretch. It was a long, tough workout (1.5 hours) that worked me very well. Between all of those workouts I did get a total body metabolic workout.
Total Body HIIT Bootcamp Workout is 37 minutes; 1 minute intro, no warm up or stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a stability ball. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. The dumbbell weights listed below are what I used.
- Bent Arm Side Raises (8# DBs)
- Squats (holding DBs at shoulders) (15# DBs)
- Press Crunch (holding one DB in both hands and reclining on the stability ball, do a crunch pressing DB toward ceiling) (one 15# DB)
- Jumping Jacks
- Repeat #1-4 two more times
- T-Push Ups (do one tricep push up then rotate into side plank and extend one DB to ceiling, alternate sides with a push up between each side) (10# DBs)
- Hammie Curls (lay on back with stability ball under heels, knees bent, raise hips and hold them isometrically while rolling ball away from you until legs are straight then rolling ball back in so knees are bent)
- Ball Pass (lay on back with arms and legs straight, raise legs and arms at same time, passing the ball from hands to feet each time you raise and lower arms and legs)
- Spot Spring (high knee run in place)
- Repeat #6-9 two more times
- Skull Crushers (your back is on the ball with hips raised) (12# DBs)
- Lunge + Curl (alternating reverse lunge with hammer curls) (12# DBs)
- Plank Toe Tap (in elbow plank with forearms on ball, alternate tapping toes out to side)
- Burpee Jacks (full burpee (with push up) and at top do a jack instead of jumping)
- Repeat #11-14 two more times
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “Total Body // HIIT Bootcamp Workout”