Killer HIIT Legs Workout is Day 12 of Heather Robertson‘s 12 Week Program. Wow! This was a tough lower body workout! There is a lot going on in this workout. It is a cardio + strength workout and the cardio intervals all double as contrast training. All that means is you pair a strength exercise (usually one using dumbbells or some other type of resistance) with a power exercise (usually a plyometric exercise) that mimics the strength exercise or uses the same muscle groups. It can get intense. I was working very hard in this workout. Because it is just under 43 minutes (and it is a Saturday) I did a finisher workout, so I do not know the total calories I burned in the course of this workout. The finisher I used was Caroline Girvan‘s Lots of Lunges, which is 25 minutes and pretty metabolic. Between the two workouts I burned 614 calories and spent 34 minutes total in my peak heart rate zone. I was wasted by the end of today’s workout session! In fact, I actually considered skipping the finisher because this workout wore me out! But again, today is a weekend, so I decided to just do it.
The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down the intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise. Heather shows a low impact variation for some of the exercises that have impact.
Killer HIIT Legs Workout is 42:38 minutes; 4 minute warm up and 5:20minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Heather is using 15 and 25 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Goblet squat (one 40# DB)
- Jump squat
- Carry lunges (walking lunges–lunge walk 2 steps (the length of your mat) then turn around and repeat, you are holding one DB in both hands extended overhead throughout) (one 15# DB)
- Pop lunges (hop back into reverse lunge then hop feet together, alternate sides when lunging)
- Glute bridge (lay on mat, knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, one heavy DB on hips, raise and lower hips) (one 40# DB)
- Glute march (alternating single leg glute bridge–same position as #5, except when you raise your hips, also raise one bent leg, alternate legs)
- Sumo squat (one 50# DB)
- Heel clicks (jump squats, when you are jumping/air born click heels together)
- Repeat #1-8
- 30 second rest
- Squat knee taps (with hands behind head, squat, when you raise out of squat, raise one knee and tap knee w/ opposite hand, alternate legs)
- Pop Squat (squat jack, touching fingertips to ground when in squat)
- Side lunges (hold one DB goblet style and alternate sides) (one 25# DB)
- Side lunge hops (alternating side lunges with a shuffle-hop when changing sides)
- Squat toe taps (lower into squat and hold isometrically, alternate tapping toes out to side)
- Curtsy & squat (hold one DB goblet style, one curtsy/cross-back lunge + one squat, alternate sides when lunging) (one 25# DB)
- Deadlift & lunge (one deadlift + one reverse lunge, alternates when lunging) (20# DBs)
- Squat & hop (hold one DB by bell, squat and place DB on mat, jump and land in squat, grab bell of DB and stand) (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #11-18