Wow! Another awesome and intense rebounder workout from Naomi Joy. Let me preface this by saying, my favorite workouts are cardio + strength workouts, where you alternate cardio exercises with strength exercises. I also love thorough total body strength workouts that are paced properly and that give each muscle group adequate work so that I do not feel like anything is shortchanged. To me, that is the perfect workout. As long as the trainer stretches you out thoroughly at the end, then you are getting just about everything in a single workout session. Once I discovered my obsession of rebounding, I was on the hunt for workouts that delivered truly thorough cardio + strength total body workouts with the cardio done on the rebounder. And I have found some very good ones. In fact, I have done quite a few of Naomi’s excellent cardio + strength workouts and she has created some of the very best rebounder workouts out there.
She topped them all with Mini Trampoline HIIT Circuit Workout. This is a bootcamp style total body cardio + strength workout and applying the term HIIT to it is totally accurate it. My FitBit says I was in my peak heart rate zone 46% of the workout and the graph shows so many red spikes! (Red is peak heart rate zone.) I burned 400 calories. That is all excellent and I love it, but what I really loved about this workout was my ability to lift heavier. In Naomi’s other cardio + strength workouts it is hard to lift very heavy due to the exercise and the tempo. You still get great strength work, but I just love lifting heavier dumbbells. I was able to in this workout. I feel like I got an overall excellent workout. Intense cardio and excellent strength work that really challenged me, plus she worked every muscle in my body thoroughly and stretched me out very nicely at the end. This workout is the total package. This is a winner! I have been holding off creating a Top 10 list of Rebounder workouts because I wanted to have a lot of rebounder workouts under my belt first and I only started rebounding in March of 2020 (I think–maybe February). Now I am afraid that when I do create one, it will be all Naomi Joy workouts.
Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 15 seconds of recovery. The workout ends with 5 minutes of core work. For the core work, each exercise is done for 60 seconds. There is a timer on the right side of the screen counting down your intervals. During the recovery, Naomi previews your next exercise. BTW–that is something I love. The only other trainer (that I am aware of) who does this is Heather Robertson. This makes a workout so assessable to the home exerciser. It gives you time to see the exercise you are about to do and, since you know the length of the interval, you can quickly determine how heavy of a weight you need for it. It also helps you mentally prepare for the next exercise.
Mini Trampoline HIIT Circuit Workout is 54:27 minutes; 1:15 minute intro, 4 minute warm up and 4:30 minute stretch. Equipment: rebounder and dumbbells. Naomi is using a set of 10 pound dumbbells and one 15 pound dumbbell. The dumbbells listed below are what I used. The warm up is done on the floor not on the rebounder. When I note in the break down that you are doing an exercise “on the floor,” I only mean the exercise is not done on the rebounder but with your feet on the floor. If I don’t specify (and it is obviously a cardio move) then it is done on the rebounder.
- Fast feet on rebounder
- Elbow plank (elbows on rebounder and feet on floor) walk feet in so knees are bent at 90 degrees then back out to plank
- Fast feet wide to narrow
- Elbow plank on rebounder (elbows on rebounder and feet on floor), alternate raising legs
- Bent over double arm back row on the floor (25# DBs)
- Squat jump on rebounder, raising arms overhead in a V when jumping and bringing hands to prayer when squatting
- Squat with overhead press on floor (15# DBs)
- Repeat #5-7
- Wide plie pulse squats (on floor, DBs on shoulders, pulse 3x at bottom of squat) (20# DBs)
- Scissor runs on rebounder
- Alternating side lunge on floor (hold one DB in both hands) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #9-11
- Wide pulsing push ups (feet on floor, arms are wide with hands hold rebounder frame, pulse 3x at bottom of push up)
- Cross-cross jack on rebounder, cross bent arms in front of you at shoulder level
- Double arm overhead tricep extensions on floor (French press) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #13-15
- Pulsing reverse lunge on floor with knee raise (pulse 3x when in lunge) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #17 on other leg
- High knee sprint
- Repeat #17-19
- Repeat #8
- Repeat #12
- Repeat #16
- Repeat #20
Core (each exercise is done for 60 seconds followed by 15 seconds of recovery):
- Lay on back on rebounder, hands holding the rebounder frame over/behind head, raise straight legs to ceiling, lifting hips then lower straight legs
- Bicycle maneuver on rebounder, pulse 2x each time you bringing elbow to opposite knee
- Lay on back on rebounder, hands holding the rebounder frame over/behind head, draw a V with straight legs (keep legs together)
- Lay on back on rebounder, head/shoulders raised, hands behind head, legs are extended straight, scissor legs in this position