Power Splits is Kelly Coffey-Meyer‘s other latest offering on DVD. The other DVD that she released at the same time is Cardio Fit. Both DVDs contain 3 workouts. Power Splits is definitely more advanced than Cardio Fit. I was working very hard during all of the workouts on this DVD. But let’s start with the main workouts. Both workouts are cardio + strength workouts but they are structured completely differently than the Cardio Fit workouts. In Power Splits the cardio or metabolic work is done as a finisher. The first approximately 15 minutes of the workout (after the warm ups) is some tough and challenging dumbbell strength work. The last 10 minutes of the workout is a finisher. Workout 1 is an upper body strength workout. Lift as heavy as you can with good form but you will not to be able to go beast mode–the intervals are long and the recoveries are short: 50 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. I had to drop to lighter dumbbells several times because I was burning out near the end of the first interval! Then you do some cardio boxing to finish off your upper body. Kelly does not use any weights for the finisher, but 2 of her crew members are using egg weights and one is using 2 pound hand weights. Workout 2 is set up in a similar fashion. The first 15 minutes is lower body strength work using dumbbells and the last 10 minutes is body weight lower body strength. Workout 2 felt more metabolic overall than workout 1. Mostly because during the weighted strength portion my heart rate started spiking during the reverse lunges. Again, 50 seconds is a long interval and the dumbbells were getting really heavy! Especially during the deadlifts. The finisher was also intense and really finished my legs off. There is some balance work in the finisher so I had a chair nearby to assist with my balance (plates and screws in my heels make balance very challenging for me). Both of the main workouts are excellent and worked me very well. I did them back to back for a 64 minute total body strength workout. Kelly’s stretches at the end were pretty skimpy so I added on a longer total body stretch when I was finished. If you start with Workout 1, it flows directly into Workout 2–it does not take you back to the main menu. But I like to start with larger muscle groups so I started with Workout 2 (lower body) then did Workout 1 (upper body).
This DVD also includes premixes (listed at the very bottom of this review) that combine the two main workouts in various ways and also gives you shorter versions. The bonus on this DVD is a workout from Kelly’s streaming service “Raw.” It is a tabata workout that will give you cardio and total body strength work. There is no jumping but the tabata intervals are what elevate the heart rate. There is a Raw bonus on Cardio Fit, too, that is completely different from this Raw bonus. I love that Kelly included the bonuses. I’m sure her main reason is to introduce people to her streaming service. So if you bought both of the DVDs like I did then you can get a better idea of the kind of variety she offers on Raw. Also, when she first started the Raw service she offered 6 workouts free on YouTube (she has since removed them) but if you are truly interested, my reviews are still up and you can read about some more of the workouts she offers. However, the links to the workouts in the reviews are dead.
Workout 1 is 32 minutes; 3:30 minute warm up and 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and full step set on an incline (Kelly and crew have one end propped on 4 risers and the other end on the floor). According to the DVD case, Kelly is using 12, 15 and 20 pound dumbbells. When she alerted us to the weight of her dumbbells I noted it below. Otherwise, the weights listed below are what I used. This workout is done interval-style: 50 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. According to my FitBit I burned 222 calories.
- Chest press, 3 sets (22.5# DBs the first set, 20# DBs sets 2 & 3)
- Skull crushers, 3 sets (11# DBs)
- Seated rows, 3 sets (sit on edge of step, DBs are on ends on floor near feet, do alternating single arm rows, return end of DB to floor near foot when when not rowing) (Kelly is using 20# DBs; I used 25# DBs))
- Alternating shoulder press, 3 sets (palms face forward, hold DB at shoulder level when not pressing overhead) (16.5# DBs first set, 15# DBs sets 2 & 3)
- Alternating hammer curls, 3 sets (Kelly is using 20# DBs; I used 16.5# DBs)
Boxing Finisher: (10:30 minutes) I used 2 pound hand weights.
- Jab-cross-jab-cross + duck (duck is a deep squat)
- Jab-cross + duck
- Repeat #1 & 2 on other side of body
- Angle step (step forward on a diagonal, step back, step forward on a diagonal with other leg leading–similar to a V step)
- Step forward w/ one cross punch then step back; add one torso twist + one upper cut (same arm that did the cross punch)
- Repeat #5 on other side of body
- Double jab + double cross; add 4 alternating upper cuts
- Repeat #7 on other side of body
- Elbow strikes (bring arm down from overhead and slam elbow down while also lowering into a lunge); add a jab-cross-jab before each elbow strike
- Repeat #9 on other side of body
- 2 upper cuts (both on same arm) + 2 hooks (both on other arm); changes to one upper cut + one hook
- Repeat #11 on other side of body
Workout 2 is 32 minutes; 4 minute warm up and 1:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. Kelly is using 15 and 20 pound dumbbells. The weights I used are also listed below. This workout is done interval-style: 50 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. According to my FitBit I burned 223 calories.
- Squats, 4 sets (at the end of the 4th set of squats, lower into squat and hold isometrically) (Kelly is using 20# DBs; I used 25# DBs)
- Reverse lunges, 2 reps on same leg, alternate sides, 4 sets (Kelly is using 15# DBs; I used 16.5# DBs)
- Deadlift, 4 sets (Kelly is using 20# DBs; I used 35# DBs)
- At the end of the 4th set of deadlifts, bring DBs to sides of body and pulse glutes back in a partial squat
Finisher: (10:30 minutes) (no DBs/all body weight) Any exercise that incorporates impact is optional. Kelly and one of the background exercisers added the jumps but the other 3 background exercises do not.
- Squat and pulse 3x; add a little hop to the pulses
- One step out squat + one back kick, alternate legs
- One reverse lunge + one hurdle + one reverse lunge, alternate legs (hurdle = from reverse lunge, raise leg into a hydrant, tapping ankle with same side hand then lower back into reverse lunge)
- One wide plie squat + crescent knee + one wide plie squat, alternate legs; add a plie jack when changing sides
- One side lunge + one curtsy lunge + one side lunge, alternate legs (tap floor with fingers when in lunge)
- One front knee raise + one side hydrant lift, alternate legs (tap ankle with same side hand when raising leg in hydrant)
- Step out into front lunge then pivot into sumo squat, pivot back to front lunge, alternate legs
- 3 single straight leg lifts to the back, alternate legs; changes to 4 lifts each leg
- Lower into squat and hold isometrically for 3 counts then hinge forward, straightening legs and touching fingers to toes
- Alternating single leg deadlifts, raise other leg behind you when hinging forward (balance move)
Raw Bonus: Tabata Sculpting is 27 minutes; 50 second intro, 2 minute warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Kelly is using 8 pound dumbbells. This workout uses the tabata protocol (20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest). A tabata is a HIIT protocol however this is not a HIIT workout; Kelly is only using 20/10 intervals and calling it a “tabata.” It is an intense metabolic workout but my heart rate never spiked into my peak heart rate zone as it should during a HIIT/tabata workout. However, what you will get is a total body metabolic strength workout. I burned 204 calories and I was working hard. It does come down to dumbbell choice though. I used 10-20 pound dumbbells, which was appropriate for me to get the most out of this workout. Use weights that are appropriate to your strength level.
- Inchworm push ups (stand at end of mat, squat, place hands on mat and walk hands out to plank, lower body to floor then push back up to plank, walk hands back to feet and stand) (4 tabata circuits)
- Squat kickback (lower into squat while doing a hammer curl, hinge forward while doing a tricep kickback, return to squat while doing a hammer curl then stand) (2 tabata circuits) (13# DBs)
- Repeat #2 but remove hammer curls and start with DBs at shoulders (2 tabata circuits) (13# DBs)
- Single leg deadlift row (hinge forward into single leg deadlift, lifting other leg straight behind you, hold and do one double arm back row) (4 tabata circuts, 2 circuits each leg) (20# DBs)
- Single arm shoulder press + peck deck, alternate arms (start w/ arms in goal post, do one single arm overhead press + one goalpost chest fly + one single arm overhead press other arm) (4 tabata circuits) (10# DBs)
- Snatch into reverse lunge, alternate sides (stand with legs wide and one DB on floor between legs, squat and grab DB, pull DB up upright row fashion until you get to shoulder level then flip elbow so weight of DB is in palm and do a single arm overhead press, keep arm raised overhead as you do a reverse lunge, squat to place DB back on floor) (4 tabata circuits) (one 10# DB)
- Kick throughs (in beast (on hands and toes w/ knees bent and elevated a few inches off floor), kick one leg under body, rotating torso and raising opposite hand off floor, alternate sides) (4 tabata circuits)
- Kick throughs with single arm row (in beast, do one single arm row then kick one leg under body, rotating torso and raising opposite hand off floor) (4 tabata circuits, first 2 circuits focus on one side of body, the last 2 circuits alternate sides) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #6
- Repeat #4 (the last two circuits Kelly starts alternating legs within the tabata interval)
- Repeat #2 (10# DBs)
- Repeat #3 (10# DBs)
- Repeat #1
Premixes: (all premixes contain a warm up and cool down)
Power Finishers 26:45 minutes
Power Interval Finishers 28:51 minutes
Power Upper and Lower (no finishers) 32:43
Power Upper (no finishers) 21:29
Power Lower (no finishers) 21:28